- US indices shrugged off morning losses to close higher on the day.
- All eleven major sectors closed higher. Utilities (XLU) led the way with a nearly 2% gain while health care stocks were the laggards, finishing essentially flat on the day.
- US-China trade talks dissolved with no deal, though parties described the discussions as “constructive” and having went “fairly well.” Chinese media reports that the two sides will meet again in Beijing in the coming weeks.
- The US reported slightly softer-than-expected CPI figures (2.0% y/y), but “core” CPI, which filters out more volatile food and energy prices, rose 2.1% as expected.
- Uber (UBER) stumbled out of the gate on its IPO, closing at 41.40, below even its (subdued) initial offering price. Rival LYFT dumped over 7%.
- Real estate database Zillow (ZG) rallied 5.5% after reporting “triple play” earnings (beat earnings estimates, beat revenue estimates, and raised guidance) yesterday
NTS = No Time Specified
*Data from Refinitiv. Index names may not reflect tradable instruments and not all markets are available in all regions.
From time to time, GAIN Capital Australia Pty Ltd (“we”, “our”) website may contain links to other sites and/or resources provided by third parties. These links and/or resources are provided for your information only and we have no control over the contents of those materials, and in no way endorse their content. Any analysis, opinion, commentary or research-based material on our website is for information and educational purposes only and is not, in any circumstances, intended to be an offer, recommendation or solicitation to buy or sell. You should always seek independent advice as to your suitability to speculate in any related markets and your ability to assume the associated risks, if you are at all unsure. No representation or warranty is made, express or implied, that the materials on our website are complete or accurate. We are not under any obligation to update any such material.
As such, we (and/or our associated companies) will not be responsible or liable for any loss or damage incurred by you or any third party arising out of, or in connection with, any use of the information on our website (other than with regards to any duty or liability that we are unable to limit or exclude by law or under the applicable regulatory system) and any such liability is hereby expressly disclaimed.