Market News & Analysis
US Equity Handover: EU and USMCA Trade Optimism Boosts Stocks
Matt Weller, CFA, CMT May 16, 2019 6:09 AM
- US indices gained ground for the second straight day, with the DJIA regaining its 200-day moving average and the VIX dropping back below 20.
- Ten of the eleven major sectors rose on the day again, led by communication service stocks (XLC). Financials (XLF) were the laggard, falling fractionally from yesterday’s close.
- Uber rallied back toward 42.00 today to retest its IPO price.
- Trade headlines dominate once again: President Trump decided to postpone his decision on EU automobile tariffs for six months, while Treasury Secretary Mnuchin noted that the US was close to a deal with Mexico and Canada on steel tariffs.
- The WSJ suggested that a US delegation may head to China for trade talks next week, though that hasn’t been confirmed. See “What Trump’s up to and how it might end” for more.
NTS = No Time Specified
*Data from Refinitiv. Index names may not reflect tradable instruments and not all markets are available in all regions.
From time to time, GAIN Capital Australia Pty Ltd (“we”, “our”) website may contain links to other sites and/or resources provided by third parties. These links and/or resources are provided for your information only and we have no control over the contents of those materials, and in no way endorse their content. Any analysis, opinion, commentary or research-based material on our website is for information and educational purposes only and is not, in any circumstances, intended to be an offer, recommendation or solicitation to buy or sell. You should always seek independent advice as to your suitability to speculate in any related markets and your ability to assume the associated risks, if you are at all unsure. No representation or warranty is made, express or implied, that the materials on our website are complete or accurate. We are not under any obligation to update any such material.
As such, we (and/or our associated companies) will not be responsible or liable for any loss or damage incurred by you or any third party arising out of, or in connection with, any use of the information on our website (other than with regards to any duty or liability that we are unable to limit or exclude by law or under the applicable regulatory system) and any such liability is hereby expressly disclaimed.