Market News & Analysis
JP Morgan rejected at key range resistance ahead of earnings
Kelvin Wong July 16, 2019 9:08 PM
JP Moragan Chase (JPM)
click to enlarge charts
- The recent 10% up move of JPM share price from its 31 May 2019 low has tested the medium-term “triangle range” resistance in place since 20 Sep 2018 where it has tested and failed to break above its current all-time high level of 119.33 printed on 27 Feb 2018.
- JPM has declined by -1.77%; that underperformed the Financials sector (-0.57%) which was the 2nd worst performer among the S&P sectors in yesterday, 15 Jul U.S. session.
- The price action of JPM has formed a daily “Bearish Engulfing” pattern at end of yesterday’s U.S. session right at the aforementioned “triangle range” resistance.
- Near-term support rests at 110.80 which is defined by a minor “ascending range” support in place since 31 May 2019 low.
- Key medium-term resistance stands at 116.10 as per defined a Fibonacci projection cluster and close to the medium-term “triangle range” resistance.
- Relative strength analysis from the ratios of JPM against its industry sector (S&P Financials XLF) and the U.S. benchmark stock index (S&P 500) have continued to exhibit medium-term weakness/underperformance.
Key Levels (1 to 3 weeks)
Pivot (key resistance): 116.10
Supports: 110.80 & 105.80
Next resistance: 119.33
If the 116.10 pivotal resistance is not surpassed and a break with a daily close below 110.80 is likely to see a further potential push down to target the next support at 105.80.
On the other hand, a clearance with a daily close above 116.10 sees a squeeze up to retest the all-time high of 119.33.
Charts are from eSignal
From time to time, GAIN Capital Australia Pty Ltd (“we”, “our”) website may contain links to other sites and/or resources provided by third parties. These links and/or resources are provided for your information only and we have no control over the contents of those materials, and in no way endorse their content. Any analysis, opinion, commentary or research-based material on our website is for information and educational purposes only and is not, in any circumstances, intended to be an offer, recommendation or solicitation to buy or sell. You should always seek independent advice as to your suitability to speculate in any related markets and your ability to assume the associated risks, if you are at all unsure. No representation or warranty is made, express or implied, that the materials on our website are complete or accurate. We are not under any obligation to update any such material.
As such, we (and/or our associated companies) will not be responsible or liable for any loss or damage incurred by you or any third party arising out of, or in connection with, any use of the information on our website (other than with regards to any duty or liability that we are unable to limit or exclude by law or under the applicable regulatory system) and any such liability is hereby expressly disclaimed.