Market News & Analysis
FX Handover: Big Retail Sales Revisions Boost Buck to Two-Week Highs
Matt Weller, CFA, CMT June 15, 2019 5:42 AM
- US Retail Sales (May) bounced back to +0.5% m/m, but last month’s reading was also revised higher from -0.2% to +0.3%. Industrial Production figures also beat expectations, making the US dollar the strongest major currency on the day.
- In a dramatic shift in tone from last week, President Trump now says it doesn’t matter if President Xi attends the G20 Summit – reining in expectations of a resumption in trade talks?
- The kiwi was the weakest major currency today, with NZD/USD threatening to close at its lowest level since October as traders start to price in a potential rate cut from the RBNZ in August.
- Gold pared its gains after the better-than-expected US data.
- See the key releases and themes we’ll be watching next week!
*No major macroeconomic releases are expected during Monday’s Asian session.
From time to time, GAIN Capital Australia Pty Ltd (“we”, “our”) website may contain links to other sites and/or resources provided by third parties. These links and/or resources are provided for your information only and we have no control over the contents of those materials, and in no way endorse their content. Any analysis, opinion, commentary or research-based material on our website is for information and educational purposes only and is not, in any circumstances, intended to be an offer, recommendation or solicitation to buy or sell. You should always seek independent advice as to your suitability to speculate in any related markets and your ability to assume the associated risks, if you are at all unsure. No representation or warranty is made, express or implied, that the materials on our website are complete or accurate. We are not under any obligation to update any such material.
As such, we (and/or our associated companies) will not be responsible or liable for any loss or damage incurred by you or any third party arising out of, or in connection with, any use of the information on our website (other than with regards to any duty or liability that we are unable to limit or exclude by law or under the applicable regulatory system) and any such liability is hereby expressly disclaimed.