Market News & Analysis
FX Brief: Greenback on the Back Foot Again as Debt Ceiling Debate Revived
Matt Weller, CFA, CMT July 13, 2019 5:35 AM
- US PPI (June) came in a tick better than expected at 1.7% y/y vs. 1.6% eyed. Core PPI came in at 2.3% vs. 2.1% expected. Despite the higher-than-expected inflation readings, the Fed is still almost certain to cut interest rates at the end of this month.
- US Treasury Secretary Mnuchin declared that the US may hit its debt ceiling before Congress returns from summer recess, meaning that a deal is necessary by the end of the month.
- USD/CAD is set to close at a year-to-date low below key previous support at 1.3050.
- The Aussie was the strongest major in a risk-on day; the US dollar was once again the weakest major currency.
- See the key trends and data releases we’ll be watching in the coming week!
From time to time, GAIN Capital Australia Pty Ltd (“we”, “our”) website may contain links to other sites and/or resources provided by third parties. These links and/or resources are provided for your information only and we have no control over the contents of those materials, and in no way endorse their content. Any analysis, opinion, commentary or research-based material on our website is for information and educational purposes only and is not, in any circumstances, intended to be an offer, recommendation or solicitation to buy or sell. You should always seek independent advice as to your suitability to speculate in any related markets and your ability to assume the associated risks, if you are at all unsure. No representation or warranty is made, express or implied, that the materials on our website are complete or accurate. We are not under any obligation to update any such material.
As such, we (and/or our associated companies) will not be responsible or liable for any loss or damage incurred by you or any third party arising out of, or in connection with, any use of the information on our website (other than with regards to any duty or liability that we are unable to limit or exclude by law or under the applicable regulatory system) and any such liability is hereby expressly disclaimed.