Market News & Analysis
Featured Trade: Bearish chill still lingers on for Hang Seng Index
Kelvin Wong May 17, 2019 2:22 PM
Short-term technical outlook on Hang Seng Index/Hong Kong 50 (Fri 17 May)
click to enlarge charts
Key technical elements
- Despite yesterday’s positive moves seen in the key U.S. benchmark stock indices; the S&P 500 & the Nasdaq rallied by 0.8% to 1%, the Hong Kong 50 Index (proxy for the Hang Seng Index futures) had failed to have a positive follow through in today’s early Asian session.
- Its 3-weeks of down move that has started on 03 May 2019 is not showing any clear signs of bearish exhaustion yet as the daily RSI oscillator still has further room to manoeuvre to the downside before it reaches an extreme oversold level of 21. Click here for a recap on the medium-term outlook.
- In the short-term time frame (1-hour chart), the Index has staged a bearish breakdown from a “flag” configuration with intermediate resistance now at 28200.
- The shorter-term hourly Stochastic oscillator has reached its oversold region where the Index may shape a minor bounce at this juncture to retest 28200 before another potential downleg materialises.
- The next significant near-term support rests at 27440 which is defined by Fibonacci retracement/expansion cluster).
- The key short-term pivotal resistance stands at 29500 which is defined by the minor swing high seen in yesterday, 16 May U.S. session and the upper boundary of a minor descending channel from 03 May 2019 high.
Key Levels (1 to 3 days)
Intermediate resistance: 28200
Pivot (key resistance): 28500
Supports: 27440 & 27290/100
Next resistance: 29500 (medium-term pivot)
If the 28500 key short-term pivotal resistance is not surpassed, the Index is likely to shape another potential impulsive downleg to target the next support at 27440.
However, a break with an hourly close above 28500 negates the bearish tone for a continuation of the corrective rebound sequence towards the 29500 key medium-term pivotal resistance
Charts are from City Index Advantage TraderPro
From time to time, GAIN Capital Australia Pty Ltd (“we”, “our”) website may contain links to other sites and/or resources provided by third parties. These links and/or resources are provided for your information only and we have no control over the contents of those materials, and in no way endorse their content. Any analysis, opinion, commentary or research-based material on our website is for information and educational purposes only and is not, in any circumstances, intended to be an offer, recommendation or solicitation to buy or sell. You should always seek independent advice as to your suitability to speculate in any related markets and your ability to assume the associated risks, if you are at all unsure. No representation or warranty is made, express or implied, that the materials on our website are complete or accurate. We are not under any obligation to update any such material.
As such, we (and/or our associated companies) will not be responsible or liable for any loss or damage incurred by you or any third party arising out of, or in connection with, any use of the information on our website (other than with regards to any duty or liability that we are unable to limit or exclude by law or under the applicable regulatory system) and any such liability is hereby expressly disclaimed.