Market News & Analysis
Equity Handover: Stocks Close Mixed After Setting a Record High Intraday
Matt Weller, CFA, CMT June 25, 2019 6:21 AM
Index names may not reflect tradable instruments and not all markets are available in all regions.
- US stocks closed mixed after the S&P 500 made a fresh record high intraday. The small cap focused Russell 2000 shed over 1.25% on the day.
- Materials (XLB) was the strongest sector on the day, while Energy (XLE) brought up the rear.
- Traders remain on edge ahead of the highly-anticipated G20 meeting at the end of the week – see our full preview of the event.
- Weak US manufacturing data continue to pile up, with today’s Dallas Fed Manufacturing survey falling to -12.1, well below the estimated -2.0 reading.
- Gold extended its rally to five straight days, tacking on another 1% to close at a nearly 6-year high at $1415.
- Caesar’s Entertainment (CZR) surged 15% after the casino operator agreed to be bought out by Eldorado Resorsts (ERI).
From time to time, GAIN Capital Australia Pty Ltd (“we”, “our”) website may contain links to other sites and/or resources provided by third parties. These links and/or resources are provided for your information only and we have no control over the contents of those materials, and in no way endorse their content. Any analysis, opinion, commentary or research-based material on our website is for information and educational purposes only and is not, in any circumstances, intended to be an offer, recommendation or solicitation to buy or sell. You should always seek independent advice as to your suitability to speculate in any related markets and your ability to assume the associated risks, if you are at all unsure. No representation or warranty is made, express or implied, that the materials on our website are complete or accurate. We are not under any obligation to update any such material.
As such, we (and/or our associated companies) will not be responsible or liable for any loss or damage incurred by you or any third party arising out of, or in connection with, any use of the information on our website (other than with regards to any duty or liability that we are unable to limit or exclude by law or under the applicable regulatory system) and any such liability is hereby expressly disclaimed.