Market News & Analysis
Equity Brief: US Indices on Hold Ahead of Powell
Matt Weller, CFA, CMT July 10, 2019 6:08 AM
Index names may not reflect tradable instruments and not all markets are available in all regions.
- US indices closed mixed in quiet trade ahead of Fed Chairman Powell’s Congressional Testimony tomorrow.
- Communication Services (XLC) was the best performing sector on the day; Materials (XLB) were the weakest, dropping -1%.
- Oil and gold finished essentially flat on the day.
- Stocks on the move:
- PepsiCo (PEP) fell -1%, despite reporting better-than-expected earnings.
- Etsy (ETSY) rallied 4% after announcing a plan to offer free shipping on orders of more than $35.
- Netflix (NFLX) tacked on 1% after an analyst reiterated his bullish call following a record start for the new season of “Stranger Things.”
From time to time, GAIN Capital Australia Pty Ltd (“we”, “our”) website may contain links to other sites and/or resources provided by third parties. These links and/or resources are provided for your information only and we have no control over the contents of those materials, and in no way endorse their content. Any analysis, opinion, commentary or research-based material on our website is for information and educational purposes only and is not, in any circumstances, intended to be an offer, recommendation or solicitation to buy or sell. You should always seek independent advice as to your suitability to speculate in any related markets and your ability to assume the associated risks, if you are at all unsure. No representation or warranty is made, express or implied, that the materials on our website are complete or accurate. We are not under any obligation to update any such material.
As such, we (and/or our associated companies) will not be responsible or liable for any loss or damage incurred by you or any third party arising out of, or in connection with, any use of the information on our website (other than with regards to any duty or liability that we are unable to limit or exclude by law or under the applicable regulatory system) and any such liability is hereby expressly disclaimed.