Market News & Analysis
Equity Brief: S&P 500 Unable to Hold 3,000…For Now
Matt Weller, CFA, CMT July 11, 2019 6:08 AM
Index names may not reflect tradable instruments and not all markets are available in all regions.
- US indices closed marginally higher on the day, boosted by expectations of a Fed rate cut later this month.
- Energy stocks (XLE) led the way higher as oil rallied more than 4%; Financials (XLF) brought up the rear.
- Fed Chairman Powell struck a dovish note in his semi-annual testimony to Congress, citing the risk that weak inflation will be even more persistent and that uncertainties continue to dim the Fed’s outlook. Separately, the minutes from the June FOMC minutes confirmed his message, noting that “many” officials saw risks weighted to the downside and a stronger case for cutting interest rates.
- Stocks on the move:
- MSC Industrial Direct (MSM) dropped 3.8% after missing profit and revenue expectations, though the company did boost its dividend by nearly 20%
- T-Mobile US (TMUS) gained 4.7% on news that it would become a member of the S&P 500.
- Levi Strauss (LEVI) shed nearly 12% after reporting declining earnings after the close yesterday.
From time to time, GAIN Capital Australia Pty Ltd (“we”, “our”) website may contain links to other sites and/or resources provided by third parties. These links and/or resources are provided for your information only and we have no control over the contents of those materials, and in no way endorse their content. Any analysis, opinion, commentary or research-based material on our website is for information and educational purposes only and is not, in any circumstances, intended to be an offer, recommendation or solicitation to buy or sell. You should always seek independent advice as to your suitability to speculate in any related markets and your ability to assume the associated risks, if you are at all unsure. No representation or warranty is made, express or implied, that the materials on our website are complete or accurate. We are not under any obligation to update any such material.
As such, we (and/or our associated companies) will not be responsible or liable for any loss or damage incurred by you or any third party arising out of, or in connection with, any use of the information on our website (other than with regards to any duty or liability that we are unable to limit or exclude by law or under the applicable regulatory system) and any such liability is hereby expressly disclaimed.