Market News & Analysis
Equity Brief: Indices Hit Record Highs Ahead of Big Bank Earnings
Matt Weller, CFA, CMT July 13, 2019 6:11 AM
Index names may not reflect tradable instruments and not all markets are available in all regions.
- US indices closed higher, with the Dow Jones, S&P 500, and Nasdaq 100 indices all closing at record highs.
- Industrial stocks (XLI) were the strongest sector for the second straight day, while Health Care (XLV) brought up the rear. Earnings season kicks off in earnest next week, with the megabanks in focus.
- US Treasury Secretary Mnuchin declared that the US may hit its debt ceiling before Congress returns from summer recess. This potential headwind will be more and more important as we approach the end of the month.
- Stocks on the move:
- Genetics company Illumina (ILMN) dropped 16% after cutting revenue guidance by $50MM.
- Milacron (MCRN) surged 26% on news that it would be acquired by Hillendbrand (HI) for $2B. HI dropped 12% on the day.
From time to time, GAIN Capital Australia Pty Ltd (“we”, “our”) website may contain links to other sites and/or resources provided by third parties. These links and/or resources are provided for your information only and we have no control over the contents of those materials, and in no way endorse their content. Any analysis, opinion, commentary or research-based material on our website is for information and educational purposes only and is not, in any circumstances, intended to be an offer, recommendation or solicitation to buy or sell. You should always seek independent advice as to your suitability to speculate in any related markets and your ability to assume the associated risks, if you are at all unsure. No representation or warranty is made, express or implied, that the materials on our website are complete or accurate. We are not under any obligation to update any such material.
As such, we (and/or our associated companies) will not be responsible or liable for any loss or damage incurred by you or any third party arising out of, or in connection with, any use of the information on our website (other than with regards to any duty or liability that we are unable to limit or exclude by law or under the applicable regulatory system) and any such liability is hereby expressly disclaimed.